Most Baton Rouge, LA homeowners have an attitude of out of sight, out of mind when it comes to their home’s plumbing. However, clogs, leaks, or breaks in your main sewer line can cost you thousands of dollars in repair, and cause your water bills to skyrocket. It’s essential to hire the right crew to fix your sewer line as quickly as possible to minimize the damage and the amount you have to spend. Call Cajun Maintenance for an appointment.
If you’ve tried everything, but still have slow or clogged drains, contact us and ask about our hydro jetting service.
5 Signs That You Need Main Sewer Line Repair
Since the sewer line is likely underground, it’s difficult to spot trouble like you can with exposed pipes. Below are the 5 warning signs that you have trouble with your main sewer line and that you need to call a professional for help.
- Odor of Sewer Gas: If you smell raw sewer odor coming out of the drains in your house, it’s a sure sign that you have an issue in your main line.
- Slow Drains: A blockage in a pipe may affect only one drain; however, if you have multiple drains that empty slowly, it signals a blockage in the main line.
- Clogs: Like slow drains, a single clogged drain usually points to a clog in a single pipe, but when you experience multiple clogs, the blockage probably lies in the main sewer line.
- Overly Lush Lawn: Does one part of your lawn appear greener and lusher than the rest? If so, it’s a sign that you might have a leaking sewer line.
- Mold & Mildew: Excess moisture in the home causes the growth of mold and mildew, and while there are many causes for this, one is a leak in the main sewer line.
If you notice any of the above issues, it’s essential that you call a professional sewer repair company like Cajun Maintenance as soon as possible.
Is an unseen water leak damaging your home right now? Contact us and ask about our water leak detection service!
What Causes Sewer Line Damage?
Because every drain in your house connects to the main sewer line, a problem there means trouble throughout your home’s plumbing system. Below are the most common causes of sewer line problems.
- Movement: When soil shifts, it can cause the line to shuffle which can lead to cracks and bursts.
- Clogs: Most people aren’t particular with what goes down the drain — food waste and grease congeal into a slimy knot that slows drains. When drains slow because of clogs, the water pressure can build, which can force a pipe to rupture.
- Corrosion: Many older Baton Rouge homes have pipes that are corroding, which causes a variety of headaches as it progresses.
Is It Better to Repair or Replace Your Sewer Line?
Replacing a sewer line is an expensive headache most Baton Rouge, LA homeowners would like to avoid if possible. Depending on the problem and its severity, you may wonder whether you can get by with a repair, or if it’s better to bite the bullet and replace the line. Here are a few things to consider.
If the problems are minor cracks and holes, and only involve a small section of the line, you can make due for now with a repair. Also, consider the age of the line. If the line is over 50 years old, you’re better off replacing it because you’ll only have more trouble down the road.
If you’re unsure which way to turn, call us for a consultation.