How To Avoid Scary Plumbing Emergencies
There's plenty to be scared of during October, but luckily, plumbing problems don't have to be included. Ghosts and zombies are quite enough, considering the fears that homeowners have to live with thinking about plumbing emergencies.
Plumbing systems are notoriously tricky, so it makes sense that they would be the focus of homeowners during Halloween. With all of the things that can go wrong, plumbing problems can be truly frightening without some planning. Here are the most common plumbing problems in October and a few tips on how to avoid them in the first place.
Prevent Clogged Drains
Clogged drains can happen to any basin in the home. Clogged drains are common, whether the kitchen sink deals with dirty dishes or the bathroom sinks collect hair and soap scum. Once a drain is running slow or clogged, there are no better solutions than to schedule drain cleaning service from a professional. If drains flow freely, it is easy to prevent clogs from forming. To prevent drain clogs, try things like:
- Don't put grease down the sink
- Discard food scraps in the trash even if there is a garbage disposal in the kitchen sink
- Avoid chemical drain cleaners that can damage piping
- Flush sinks with hot water periodically
- Clean drains with baking soda and a splash of vinegar
- Use hair catchers in bathroom sink to stop hair before it goes down the drain
Put a Stop to Clogged Toilets
- Only Flush Flushable Items: This can be deceiving since many items deemed flushable are not. Only flush solid and liquid waste and the associated toilet paper. Never flush hygiene products, wipes, or towels.
- Lower the Lid: The whole purpose of the lid on a toilet is to prevent items from falling in. Leaving the lid up is not only unsanitary but also allows foreign debris into the toilet that is sure to cause clogs.
- Flush Often: If toilet paper buildup is a problem, flush more than once. Use some toilet paper, flush it, then repeat as necessary to prevent the toilet from clogging with one giant ball of tissue.
Remember Water Heater Maintenance
- Flushes solids from the tank
- Increases efficiency
- Allows for more hot water during use
- Longer lifespan for the water heater
- Lesser chance of issues over the winter
Fall water heater maintenance is quick and easy and will pay for itself every year over the unit's life.
About Cajun Maintenance
Cajun Maintenance is the local expert when it comes to plumbing emergencies. They have honest pricing, whether a home needs help with clogged drains or gas line service from licensed technicians. Call today for fast and guaranteed plumbing service in Denham Springs, LA.
Distribution Links +